Sunday 25 October 2009

I'm in a contemplative mood.....

Did you enjoy the extra hour in bed this morning? I was very good and didn’t turn my clocks back until after I got up, so I’ve had an extra hour during the day instead. For one who is quite attached to weekend lie-ins, I am quite impressed with myself.
Despite the extra hour, I’ve had a fairly uneventful day. I have however been working on my brother’s petty cash books, preparing them for his quarterly VAT return, and it got me thinking about what job I would do if I could go back and start my career over again. I do enjoy working with figures, but I think following in the footsteps of my dad and becoming an accountant would drive me nuts.
I must admit that I love my job but I guess in a way I just fell into it. I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I left school so at university I did a subject that interested me; I have always found anything to do with the brain and human behaviour fascinating (I am a bit of a people watcher wherever I go), hence the psychology degree. I never really wanted to pursue psychology as a career though, so when I finished university I still didn’t have any sound plan as to what I wanted to do next. I was fortunate that, after a couple of short-term jobs, I was employed by the organisation at which I had volunteered from the age of fifteen, working with disabled children and young people. I have never looked back and now manage the charity. As I say, I love my job and I wouldn’t change it now for anything. However, I think if I was to go back to being 18 again and got to make my choices for a second time, I would probably go into medicine or nursing.
If you were to start your career again, would you choose a different path or do you have the job you always wanted?

No comments: