Monday 9 November 2009

Would I cheat?....

Good afternoon. Had a good weekend? I spent an enjoyable couple of days in the company of my good friend Aidan and it was also all the better for having an extra day off work. We went for a mooch round Dagfields’ antiques centre yesterday after a hearty lunch at an excellent pub in Madeley, near Crewe, called the Offley Arms (it is run by my brother so I am not in the least biased!)- you should try it if you are ever in that neck of the woods, I can highly recommend the steak-in-ale pie.
A visit to the second-hand book shop at Dagfields was necessary to give Aidan his daily fix of book-buying. It wasn’t the best bookshop I have been in, being highly disorganised and cramped, but I managed to pick up a couple of copies of texts that I studied for my Latin A Level- the poetry of Catullus, in translation, and Virgil’s Aeneid Book IV, in Latin.
It’s strange that I used to enjoy Latin verse so much because I’ve never been a huge fan of poetry. When I was at school they used to make us write poems, which I found really difficult- the mere mention of poetry homework was enough to make me break out in a cold sweat! I remember once being so stressed about having to write a poem and not being able to do it that my dad wrote it for me. Great!....Not. To my horror the teacher decided it was good enough to enter into the school poetry competition…I have never hoped so much not to win something and, I hasten to add, I have never cheated at anything since.

No comments: