Sunday 14 March 2010

Sponsored abseil

I decided at the beginning of the year that I was going to organise a sponsored event to raise much-needed funds for the charity for which I work. So what did I decide would be a good idea? Abseiling of course because I absolutely love heights- not. A team of around 25 of us (staff and supporters) will be risking life and limb on Sunday 30th May at Devil's Gorge in Mold, each of us doing two abseils- the first is down the rockface, but the second is a 120ft free hang abseil! We must be mad. I really am terrified of heights. Voley can vouch for this after once walking round Conway town walls with me (they are quite high with very little to prevent you from falling off- a rickety hand rail as I remember)...when I say walked, I was actually on my hands and knees! So doing this abseil is definitely going to be a challenge for me- I will do it, but someone may have to prise my fingers off the edge! It is for a worthwhile cause though so a little fear is fairly insignificant. The North Staffs Special Adventure Playground is a fantastic charity providing play and recreational facilities and activities for disabled children and young people. I have been involved now for 20 years and, although I may be a little biased, it really is a wonderful place. You can visit our website (click the link above) to see what we do, or to see a quick snippet of us in action click here- the link is to an episode of Celebrity Cash in the Attic in which Nick Hancock, our patron, appeared to raise money for us (the footage of the Playground is in the last minute or so- I kept well out of the way of the camera!). It costs us over £200 000 a year to keep the Playground open and the majority of this money we have to raise ourselves through applying for time-limited grants and general fundraising, so I am keen for this abseil to be a success. If anyone would like to sponsor me, we have our own fundraising page on JustGiving.com- clicking the link below will take you there!

Every penny raised will go directly towards providing a vital service in Staffordshire for disabled children and young people and their families.

..and wish me luck with my abseil! I will no doubt post some pictures after the event.

2 comments:

The Plashing Vole said...

I shall send some money your way in due course.

Imaginary Friend said...

Thank you!x