Thursday 15 July 2010

Rain rain, go away

I know we badly needed rain, and I'm much happier now that the weather has cooled considerably, but did we really need to have the wettest week in some time whilst I am on annual leave? I had planned to go fruit picking so that I could make jam (there's nothing better than homemade strawberry jam spread on freshly home-baked bread, mmm), but the rain has not let up long enough to pick the fruit, and even if it did, all the strawberries have probably now turned to mush. Very annoying. So instead I am baking cakes...or trying to as, thwarted again, I don't appear to have all the necessary ingredients. I've made a lemon sponge and some almond slices, but the rest of my bake-a-thon will have to wait until tomorrow when I've done a spot of shopping!


I'm so enjoying not being at work this week though. It's been a hectic couple of months and my batteries needed recharging. My week so far has in general been fairly relaxed and I've been able to spend lots of time with Barney who is growing rapidly- I'll post some photos later- I really miss him when I'm at work. Retail therapy in Manchester went well; I came back with a number of successful purchases, without parting with much money (thanks to the gift cards courtesy of my Dad's American Express points!), which is my kind of shopping! Not much planned for the next couple of days, but Sunday and Monday will be spent in the company of my favouritest (yes, I know that isn't a word) friend, so I'm looking forward to that. Will have to wait until September then before I have any more time off- it's a hard life!!

No comments: